Thursday, January 12, 2006

Spit and polish

I got tired of Athena so the Campus has undergone a very slight renovation.

As far as genuine content to add to the site, well, there really should be some, shouldn't there? We can chalk our lack of posts up to diligence in the execution of our scholarly obligations, but those activities should spawn posts, not prevent them.

I used a Borders gift which I'd gotten for Christmas to order C.O. Brink's English Classical Scholarship. This appears to argue that 19th century German philologists were following a British tradition which grew out of the Renaissance, but that, after a period of stagnation, came home again in the work of A.E. Housman. I haven't read it yet, but I'll post about it when I do. In addition to my thesis and tutoring I've been reading a number of things in and outside of classics, including the Iliad in Greek, Bonfire of the Humanities, some novels by the late Saul Bellow, Maurois's biography of Disraeli, and lots of Mark Twain.

For my thesis I've been reading on everything from ancient medicine to the history of Byzantine scholarship.

So I'll try to have something substantive to contribute here soon.

No comments: