Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Book Sale Scores

The library had a book sale today, and I picked up a few things:

Berg, William. Early Virgil.
Bunyan, John. The Pilgrim's Progress.
Die Bibel (Luther's German translation)
Cassell's New French Dictionary. (I actually like Harper/Collins/Robert, but I wanted to get a copy of this as well.)
James, Henry. Italian Hours.
Kierkegaard, Soren. Either/Or (translation).
Pascal, Blaise. Pensees (translation by W.F. Trotter with an introduction by T.S. Eliot).
Septuaginta X (ed. A Rahlfs): Psalmi cum Odis (the 'Odes' are Novem Odae ecclesiae graecae). Handwritten in the front is, I believe, the name of William Strunk's (of 'Strunk and White' fame) son Oliver. Perhaps someone can tell me what this inscription means. It reads: 'O. Strunk d.d. J. Raasted, Sept. '63'. Does anyone know what the 'd.d.' stands for?

As you can tell, I didn't do a very good job of sticking to classics books, but I am very glad to have gotten a copy of Berg; there's a lot I enjoy in that book. There were some others in the classics field I wanted to get, but I was getting outside of what I thought I should spend. The one I'm most disappointed to have passed up was John Jones' On Aristotle and Greek Tragedy, my personal favorite as far as works on the Poetics and Greek Tragedy go. I also passed on a Cassell's Latin Dictionary, which I don't actually own. There was a pristine copy of the Appolonius Rhodius Loeb as well, and Merrill's Catullus. In addition, they had the first part of an edition of the Catalepton, with Latin, English, and Latin commentary. Finally, I had to pass on A.P. Burnett's The Art of Bacchylides.

Dennis: they had a very nice edition of Victor Bers' Greek Poetic Syntax in the Classical Age. I think it was about EUR 8 ($10 or $12). Let me know if you want it and I could try to pick it up if it's still there.

UPDATE: I have a hunch 'd.d.' could stand for dedicavit. Can anyone confirm or deny?

UPDATE 2: I was just poking around at the book sale again and came across Charles Segal's copy of Anne Lebeck's Studies in Aeschylus. They seem to have had several tragedy books that I missed the first time around, as I saw someone absconding with Winnington-Ingram's Studies in Aeschylus. Ah, well.

4 comments:

Dennis said...

According to the Acronyms, Initialisms, and Abbreviations Dictionary, on of the hundred or so meanings of DD is 'dedit (or dedicavit), gave, dedicated.'

As for Bers, I have a copy, but thanks for thinking of me.

You can hold off on Cassel's. I have an extra copy (I keep one at my carrel and one at home) that I could easily part with. But I run across them at book sales now and again. They're never more than $1.

This is a good time for you to sign up with LibraryThing.

Here's mine:

http://www.librarything.com/profile/thecardiffgiant

Eric said...

Thanks!

Possessing Bers, would you recommend it?

Unknown said...

For "d. d.", I think we get it for "donum dat/dedit" on inscriptions.

Dennis said...

I'm not so familiar with Bers that I can recommend it, but the introduction is good and he deals with a number of specific issues such as the terminal accusative and locative dative, et al. From what I've read it seems very grounded in modern linguistics without losing sight of the peculiar cultural realities of Greek poetry. Flip through and see what you think. What are they asking for it?

I think Caelestis is right about d.d.